WARNING: The opinions expressed below are DEFINITELY those of The CoLab Theatre Company! Learn more at www.colabtheatre.org!

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Why Erika Does It

Welcome to our blog - thanks so much for visiting! For those of you who don't know me (and hello to all those who do!) my name is Erika and I am a recent graduate of Brandeis University where I met Kenny and the seeds of this company were planted. Before I tell you about where we're growing (get it?) in the future, I thought I'd tell you where I come from.

When I was in sixth grade, my parents sent me to theatre camp. It was your typical experience, two weeks of theatre games taught by some college kids culminating in world's worst production of Grease. I know you're expecting me to say, "I fell in love with the theatre here and it changed my entire life!" Well, that's not what happened. In fact, it was one of the worst experiences my twelve-year-old self had been through. Basically I was told I was no good, sent to stand in the back with the other "talentless" children, made to wear too much eyeliner (the horror), and to make matters worse, I was totally turned off to the theatre. (Don't worry, I'll snap out of it.) Fast forward to the end of eighth grade where it was time to choose electives for high school. My best friend talked me into taking theatre because there would be no homework. So I showed up to class, ready to be told that I had no business being there, and found exactly the opposite. It was a world of games and play mixed with passion and a splash a literature on the side. I had never experienced such a network of support before and I had never enjoyed anything so much in my life. By the time spring rolled around, I was cast in my first show (I had SEVEN lines - woot) and I was in love. Over eight years later, this love has morphed and grown and has lead me to become a part of The CoLab.

I decided to major in Theatre Arts with a concentration in Acting at Brandeis. One of the courses taught here is one called The Collaborative Process (sound familiar?) which is taught by fellow Boston actress Adrianne Krstansky. The class is about searching through every corner of your mind and heart and finding the courage to present your findings in performance. It is about leaning on your fellow actors to create a piece that is a total mind and body experience for both the actors and the audience. This class taught me that theatre does not have to be about a polished performance so much as a heartfelt one.

So why do I do it? I do it because I want people to understand that theatre does not have to be about "talent" or "no talent." The theatre is about having a place to go when nothing else feels right in the world. Little girls should not have to feel badly that they can't sing well in public. They should be empowered by the fact that you can make someone think by simply standing on stage and pouring out your heart to an audience. I do it because I love knowing that I can cause people to feel emotion. I do it because it's magic and we all need magic sometimes in this world. I do it because I love it.

Thanks for reading about me. I'd love to hear more about you (I also do it because I enjoy meeting new people!). Please feel free to respond to this post, send us an email, what you would like. Come join us on this collaborative journey!

XOXO,
Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment