WARNING: The opinions expressed below are DEFINITELY those of The CoLab Theatre Company! Learn more at www.colabtheatre.org!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Post-Show Glow or Audi-drenaline Part II

FIVE DAYS LEFT UNTIL PLAY.
8 PM - FACTORY THEATRE
791 TREMONT STREET

TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE!! BE THERE OR BE HAVING WAY LESS FUN THAN THE COLAB!!

...while I'm still working on directing play, I've recently finished my stint as a 16 year old heroin addict. AND THAT WAS A FABULOUS EXPERIENCE. We had two very different weekends of shows. Our first weekend was a very intense experience and the audiences reacted as such. They were with us every heartbreaking step of the way and it was easy to use their energy to propel ourselves to the next scene. The second weekend was very different. The audience... and get ready for it... they laughed. I mean, they really found the funny/comic reliefs lines FUNNY and that was something. All weekend we had audiences that weren't afraid to laugh at the funny, be silent and watch the sad, and cringe at the scary. They moved in and out of these emotions over the course and the show and it gave us a different sort of audi-drenaline. Because they were able to recover from the intense bits and laugh, it gave us the freedom to make our performances even bigger and forced us to stay in the moment - keeping our composure when there was laugher, holding for laugh lines, surging forward when things got scary. And it was refreshing. And it was fun. And I learned from this experience, which after all is what this is all about isn't it? I love to act because I love that I have the ability to make people feel something. But I forgot that I love to watch live theatre because I like to feel. And I made people. Whether people enjoyed the show or not (and I hope you did), they reacted. And THAT'S what it's all about.

I thank all of your who came out the show and supported my cast mates and me and this endeavor. This is a project that I won't be forgetting any time soon.

1 comment:

  1. I have waiting impatiently for you to post some post-show directorial reflections about "play." so that I could comment on them and gush about how much I loved it -- but I suppose you're still luxuriating in/recovering from the grand success of Tuesday night, and I don't really need to wait for an appropriate entry to comment on.

    So I just wanted to say: "play." was AMAZING, beautiful, one of those "oh, right, THIS is why theatre is such a central part of my existence" evenings, and I thank you for it from the bottom of my heart.

    And would love to hear about the processes behind it (thought- and rehearsal- and anything else you want to share) sometime.

    ~ c.

    ReplyDelete