WARNING: The opinions expressed below are DEFINITELY those of The CoLab Theatre Company! Learn more at www.colabtheatre.org!

Friday, July 9, 2010

In Someone Else's Skin

"I've been such a mess this week it was nice just to be someone else for three hours."
- Erika Geller

...even if that someone else is a pill-popping, heroin-snorting, boyfriend-stealing sixteen-year-old girl. Life is hard. If you've read this blog (or simply BEEN A PERSON EVER) then you get it. Things aren't easy. People have jobs. People have have computers that suddenly break down. People have personal lives that blow up and sometimes, it's nice to have an escape from all of the stress of family, friends, and relationships to just live in someone else's skin and deal with someone else's problems. Becca's life sucks. (This is my character's name FYI) But still, this week, it was nice to deal with her sucky life within the confines of the rehearsal room for three brief, yet wondrous hours instead of my own. (Don't worry, Mom, things aren't catastrophic. I'm just 23 and things are hard.)

Maybe I should thank Jessica Goldberg, the playwright, for giving me Becca's words. Words that I can take out my own frustration on while always having the same outcome. No matter how many different things I feel, I'm going to say the same lines, and the play is going to end the same way. In my world, every word I say or don't say effects how I feel. And if actions speak louder than words, the steps I take towards my future effect how my "personal play" ends up. Sometimes it's hard to differentiate between "Erika: The Actress" and Erika, the actress/waitress/hot mess, but during those rehearsal hours, I am the former and the latter gets to take a break and enjoy her chosen career. In Becca's world all of the characters are looking for Refuge from their disastrously sad lives and somehow Becca's world has become my refuge from the real world. Now, I'm definitely better off in my world but Becca's world is almost okay for a few hours. You know, until all hell breaks loose. But you'll just have to see the show to find out more.

Check us here for AWESOME PRESS: http://www.theatermania.com/boston/news/07-2010/steve-martin-jessica-goldberg-plays-to-be-presente_28651.html

And here for TICKET INFORMATION:

General Admission: $16 (7/30, 7/31, 8/6, and 8/7 at 8 p.m., 8/1 at 3 p.m., and 8/7 at 4 p.m.)
Pay What You Can: $5 (7/29 and 8/5 at 8 p.m.)
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/116701

1 comment: