WARNING: The opinions expressed below are DEFINITELY those of The CoLab Theatre Company! Learn more at www.colabtheatre.org!

Friday, July 30, 2010

Excerpt from "Perfect Pitch"

I've been the busiest I've been in years. I haven't posted much. I apologize. I'm past one year since I finished writing the first draft of my full length, which had a reading in October. However, I haven't touched it since. Here's a scene from my July '09 draft. Perhaps posting it in public will motivate me to start writing again...

***

Perfect Pitch: A Post-Punk Play with Music

By Kenny Steven Fuentes
First Draft 7/12/09
Boston, MA

Characters featured in this scene
Cole, M, mid-20's, former musician.
Shane, F, 19, Songwriter, Musically ambitious.

Scene VIII

Darkness. Cole begins to drunkenly sing Simple Twist of Fate by Bob Dylan. He should not sing the whole song, just what he needs to facilitate the scene change and arrive at the final verse. The stage becomes the couch of Shane's apartment.

Lights up for the final verse, as he sits next to Shane over a bucket. She is singing along with him while sipping Cole's Whisky.


Cole

People tell me it's a sin
To know and feel too much within
I still believe she was my twin
But I lost the ring
She was born in spring
but I was born too late.
Blame it on a simple twist of fate.




Cole sings these last few words as he kneels over a bucket. She kneels to him holding him over and making sure he's doing ok.


Shane
I love that song.

Cole
I do too! You should play it, grab your guitar and play it for me. Ooooo...

Shane
You'd have to promise me you won't puke on it? Can you do that for me?

Cole
Hmm... you know, maybe that's not such a good idea... fuuuuuckkkk...

Shane
Oh look at you... such a mess...

Cole
Fuck, I must...shit, be making a good first impression on you.

Shane
Cole, we've known each other for a year now. This is like the fiftieth impression. Hundredth, maybe.

Cole
I know! I know! I'm just letting you know, I can still joke, which means, I'm not that drunk.

Shane
(She takes a big gulp of his bottle, and winces a bit.) Whiskey...really? There's just no classy way to get drunk off of cheap whiskey. You could've tried being a little more classy, maybe gotten some Cognac or Vermouth or something a european existentialist writer would drink.

Cole
Heh... you're funny... So very funny. I like you. I like you lots.

Shane
Thanks (Pause) Here, I think you're doing ok. (She lifts him up and guides him to the couch.) Let's get you settled in your luxury suite for the night.

He sits. She begins to exit.

Shane
I'll get you something to drink.

Cole
Beer?

Shane
I was thinking water, actually.

Cole
Laaaaaame...

She walks offstage, getting him a drink and listening as he talks.

Cole
You know, sometimes I wonder if life would be different if I'd been born in the 60's. All you need is love, right? I think I'd like that. I'd join... the Church of Dylan. Be a free spirit. Shit... there's no job opening for free spirits these days, did you know that? No one's hiring. It's like Dylan predicted everything that'll ever happen in your life before you were even born. But now that I know what'll happen, what's left? I don't know much these days.

Shane enters with water and a big pitcher. She hands it to him and sits.

Cole
Thanks. (He takes a huge gulp, down the glass and lays his head down on her lap.) I do know a few things. I don't know what I'd be doing without you right now... cuz like, fuck... I missed this stuff. Writing...playing... going to shows... being an artist...I don't know, I mean, I don't wanna pretend like I'm as amazing as you are. I'm not as strong. You're stronger than me, did you know that? It's a gift you have. You shared that gift.

Shane
Don't mention it. It's nothing really.

Cole
No, really. You dug a hole to find me. I burrow deep, you know.

Shane
I don't make close connections with many people. You know, before I met you and Laurel.... all I had was Ant. And honestly, sometimes that felt like a bad idea. But since I met you, I have a little more...spark.

Cole
Yeah...that's the word. Shark...

Shane
(She chuckles.) Spark. Not shark.

Cole
Sharky sparky Mc Fucky...

Shane
(Chuckling more.) Christ, you're fucking adorable when you're shitty.

Cole
You're adorable always.

Shane
...thanks.

Cole
I think I might be falling in love with you.

Silence. Cole is too drunk to realize the line that has now been crossed. He chuckles to himself. He will not remember this.

Shane
You're drunk.

Cole
No! I'm tober! Sotally! (He bursts out laughing.) That wasn't even intentional!

Shane
(She holds his hand. Maybe strokes his head.) I hate you for being drunk right now. That's so not cool.

Cole
Sorry. My bad. You don't hate me now do you?

Shane
No, of course not!

Cole
Shit...I ruined your night...I'm a puking mess... and now you hate me...

Shane
No, I don't hate you...

Cole
Fuck... don't lie, I know you're mad and I'm sorry. I'm a fuck, I know...I'll... I'll sober up right this moment... right this now...

Shane
You're not going to remember one moment of this, are you?

Cole
I will...I promise you the world...I will... every moment, every drop of whiskey...

Shane
(She holds up his hand to her face and kisses it.) I hate you, you know...

Cole
I know....


Lights begin to dim. No music.

No comments:

Post a Comment