WARNING: The opinions expressed below are DEFINITELY those of The CoLab Theatre Company! Learn more at www.colabtheatre.org!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Audition Cycle

I auditioned for Bad Habit's Stop Kiss on Sunday night. It was the first time in awhile I had walked out of an audition thinking, "That felt awesome." Ideally you would feel stupendous every time you walk out of an audition, but that's just not going to happen. Some auditions are going to be amazing and others are simply going to be swept under the rug with the thought, "Next time..." And that's okay. That's why we audition so much. My non-theatre friends always look sad when I tell them I had a bad/mediocre/blah audition. I can appreciate that - they want me to do well - but I have a hard time explaining to them why it's not a big deal. It can't be a big deal. I would NOT survive in this business for a hot second if I got worked up over every bad audition I went on. No one would.

There are also so many factors that go into the outcome of the audition. On Sunday, it was pouring rain and chilly. Someone from the prod staff had provided cookies and hot coffee to the actors which helped to create a cozy, welcoming atmosphere from the elements. Each actor also auditioned with a monologue of their own and a side from the show. I find that I do the best in auditions where I get to read from the script so this also gave me a positive push in the right direction. In addition to all of these things, the prod staff was lovely to audition for. Plus, I know the play pretty well so I felt like I had a solid grasp on how to approach the side, how to dress for the audition, etc. Seriously, kids, if you're auditioning for a show reading it (or the very least a synopsis or a single scene) beforehand makes a huge difference. Anyways, that's all I've got for this snowy Tuesday. Feel free to tell me what makes or breaks an audition for you!

Oh, and I got a callback. :-) Just in case you were wondering!

No comments:

Post a Comment