WARNING: The opinions expressed below are DEFINITELY those of The CoLab Theatre Company! Learn more at www.colabtheatre.org!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bodies

From 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. today I stood outside in the cold. I stood outside in the cold in a cemetery. I stood outside in a cemetery to make a film. While I was standing in place during takes (especially the close-ups on my co-stars where I wasn't in the frame), I was shaking and chattering and feeling incredibly uncomfortable. However, when it was my turn to be on screen, I forgot about the cold. I stopped shaking and I played the scene.

From 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. I cuddled under two layers of blankets, wore sweatpants, and nursed a cup of hot tea. I was tired and cold and I didn't have any desire to move.

From 7:30 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. today I had a session with my personal trainer. It was one of my most productive sessions yet and I felt amazing afterward. I pushed the whole time and it was worth it.

Today led me to this realization: the body is an amazing thing. While it is definitely connected to the mind, it also has a mind of its own. I know mine takes a beating sometimes with my crazy schedule but I am always amazed at its ability to keep powering through. My body sometimes know things before I do. I don't always cry when I say goodbye to someone, but when I do, it's because my body realizes how much the person means to me. The body feels pain - emotionally and physically - and it recovers from it. The body understands love and passion. The body understands fear. To me, this is incredible. It is the instrument that takes me through my life and while it is influenced by my convoluted crazy mind, it is not soley run by it, and I am thankful for that. And I am thankful my body helps me get through long days like today. It makes me realize just how much I should take care of it, not only as an actor, but as a thank you for the way it supports me. (Pun intended.)

At 11:30 p.m. my body told me it was time for bed. I'm sure listening tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment